Tuesday 23 November 2010

Digipak & Advertisement Research...

A Digipak is a patented style of compact disc or DVD packaging.
Digipaks typically consist of a book style paperboard or card stock outer binding, with one or more plastic trays capable of holding a CD or DVD attached to the inside.
They can come in a variety of styles, the most popular being 4 or 6 panel designs.
The one below is 6 panel (6 sides) which is what I want mine to be like.

When the panels are opened the disc is revealed. On this particular Digipak the disc rests on the right hand side, whereas I want my disc to sit in the centre.



Below are a couple more examples of Digipaks...




Looking in more detail into Digipaks, I focused on the album "Recovery" by Eminem, which interestingly features one of the songs I analysed earlier.
The images below show the Digipak front and back cover for "Recovery"...




The front cover is very simplistic, the only text included is the one word "Recovery", which is the name of the album.
The artist's name is not even mentioned, I think this is a way of showing how successful he is. His name does not even have to be mentioned because apparently everyone will already know that it is Eminem's album.

The image has had no over the top editing, and appears very real and simple.

In addition to my point about Eminem's name not being on the front cover, a picture is not shown of him either. (except for one of him shot from behind walking into the distance).






This is the back of the album, it shows the list of tracks, aswell as a barcode, a website address, an anti-piracy logo and some other logos from producers etc.



The portrait image below is the poster which advertises the album previously mentioned.
As you can see it uses the same imagery which was incorporated onto the album itself.
I want to incorporate similar imagery and effects from my Digipak to my poster, yet I do not want to directly use the same images on both.
I think if I use the same images on both my advert and Digipak, it will look repetitive and lazy, even though I can understand why it has been done here.


No comments:

Post a Comment